10/05/2009

HDR Study in Arcadia, CA

It was almost four o'clock in the afternoon. I just walked out of a Dim Sum place. At that moment, I felt it was a pretty nice and comfortable weather for outdoor photography. Sun was not too strong to burn my eyes, and some good looking clouds on the sky. mm... it's good day to test shot with HDR photography study.
I kept driving to the north on the Baldwin Ave and looking for a good spot. Finally I found this park, it is just right next to the Arcadia Mall. It got some nice red, green color and if I can frame them with the blue sky into a picture must be good to see!

I tired several different angles to get a satisfied look, eventually I laid down my G10 on the grass with some leaves in front of it. To achieve this HDR image, I took at least 5 RAW images with different exposures in -2,-1,0,1,2 separately.
When I was back home, I assembled them into HDR image via Photomatix. In the first place, the HDR image was not so good, because, I found I didn't make it align well becasue of the wind. I decided to take a detour. I picked one RAW which I think is the best to get my target HDR image and tweak this one RAW into EP1,EP0 and EP-1.

From left to right are EP-1, EP0, and EP1

EP1 and EP-1 are all converted from EP0 this RAW file. There still other 4 different RAW files I can use, but I only picked this one is because when in low exposure, the cloud still has good definition. In higher exposure, the details of the bush (on the left of the middle) gradually emerged, but the sky is still not blown out. In other word, a HDR image must not only can display enough details, even in the darker area (but not totally black), but also can have good definition in the brighter part (but not blown out).

When all images are ready, simply dump all 3 images into Photomatix again to get this satisfied result as my HDR study image.



No comments: